Growing up in an Indian family, butter chicken was made pretty regularly. It is one of my favorite meals! It is usually served at a party or special occasion (at least according to my family. I found it hard to make so it was never attempted by me in the kitchen.
However, I did find an easy way to make it myself 🙂 Below are the steps to make it along with the ingredient list. This will make 6 servings and take 15 mins to prep and 45 mins to cook.
- 1 cup butter, divided
- 1 onion, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 1/2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into bite-sized chunks
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons tandoori masala
- biryani masala (optional)
- dahi or plain yogurt (optional)
- Patak’s Spicy Butter Chicken cooking sauce
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Melt a few tablespoons of butter in a skillet over medium heat. Stir in onion and garlic, and cook slowly until the onion caramelizes to a dark brown, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile melt the remaining butter in a saucepan over medium-high heat along with the tomato sauce, heavy cream, salt, cayenne pepper, and garam masala. Bring to a simmer, then reduce heat to medium-low; cover, and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Then stir in caramelized onions.
- While the sauce is simmering, toss cubed chicken breast with vegetable oil until coated, then season with tandoori masala and spread out onto a baking sheet. I like to add another secret ingredient that many don’t to take the flavour up a notch, which is biryani masala, as well as dahi (which is plain yogurt).
- Bake chicken in preheated oven until no longer pink in the center, about 12 minutes. Once done, add the chicken to the sauce and simmer for 5 mins. The last ingredient you will add is Patak’s Spicy Butter Chicken cooking sauce. Simmer for another 5 mins before serving. Enjoy with rice or naan.
If you do give this a try, let me know how it worked out for you 🙂